Saturday, December 31, 2005

Blog introspections

At the end of this month and year, our stats are indeed looking promising. We have only started to gather statistics from 11. December, and we have already had a good amount of visits. Close to 600 in all in about 20 days -- and doing so without any deliberate ads anywhere (well, except a note at my group, Mind & Brain at yahoogroups).

There are two primary motivations behind this blog. The first is that it serves as an archive for out research on neuroethics, on the road of making a book about it. The book will be written in Danish, but it of course our hope that it can be translated into other languages, e.g. English. So in terms of the book project, we needed somewhere to arhive our items. In extension to this, we also thought a blog would be good for more free thoughts and views in the preparation of the book.

But why should we hold this archive just for ourselves? Why not share this with others? I think the answer is obvious - brain science produces a hole new range of findings that goes straight to the bone of what it actually means to be human. In order to understand these new findings and their implications, there must be a bridge between the researchers and the public (and the media). Martin and I are both cognitive neuroscientists, having our hands in the mud, so to speak. Why let others think about the consequences of what we are doing? Why not discuss this ourselves -- share our thoughts, concerns and visions? In addition, since there is an abundance of brain-hype sites and news, we hope to bring up to date, balanced news and views following the proper scientific rigor!

So while much of what we write is to our own amusement and preparation, we hope that you will be amused with us. And please drop in for comments and discussions. We'd love to hear your opinions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous jayal said...

Hello! I've just come to find your blog a few days ago... I find the articles very interesting.

Particularly, at the moment (brain) disorders, and how the brain functions after a stroke. I think this interest stemmed from the fact that my neighbour and some relatives have dealt with stroke... maybe you could guide me in some more readings sometime.

There is one neuroscientist that I admire. There was an article about Alice Flaherty dealing with hypergraphia in National Geographic. I find her work interesting and personal http://www.identitytheory.com/interviews/birnbaum141.php

I 'm a first- year university student (chemistry)...I'm not academically outstanding in my classes, but what drives me is curiousity and i have a far-ranging expansive interest in everything...

Anyways enough rambling on from me... keep up the fantastic work.

6:29 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home